Lake Yoga



I knew that tonight I wouldn’t get much sleep.  No surprise - it happens about this time every year.  Let me explain.   Earlier in the day, I put both of my personal water craft on the lake - tuned up and ready for summer.  Now with the promise of a warm, clear morning just a few hours away,  soon it would be time for the season’s first ride.  And for me, that always means a sleepless night of anticipation.  

From the first time I ever rode a jet ski, something resonated with me.  The term Personal Watercraft is an accurate description because it’s so… personal.   Please understand that I’m not the guy who jumps wakes and zig zags across choppy water.  My chiropractor would love that.  Instead, you will find me on the lake in the early morning when the day is new and the water is as smooth as baby skin. That’s when I’ll be carving lazy turns and exploring sloughs while listening to the steady drone of the motor.  It creates a peaceful, tranquil feeling in the very depth of me.  I call it lake yoga. 

Finally, the sun peeked over the eastern horizon.   I got up, ate a quick breakfast, and walked out on the deck.  Perfect. Tranquil.  The lake looked like a water color painting.  Time to check my gear - phone, license, registration, and of course, cheap sunglasses.  I have a drawer full in the house, so I’m totally unfazed if they blow off into the water.  Slipping on my life jacket and  grabbing the keys, I headed down the steps to the dock.  

Once on the pier, I approached the Kawasaki, hidden under its cover.   It’s getting older now, but it more than gets the job done.  I attribute that to regular maintenance, indoor storage, and not driving like an idiot.  This ski can still get from 0 to 60 as quick as a hiccup. My mechanic put it best when he told me, “Don’t put Armor All on the seats if you plan to to accelerate quickly.  You’ll end up in the water.”  

I pulled off the protective tarp.   The ski’s red and black colors shone deeply, still gleaming from a recent wax job. I unhooked it from the port, inserted the key and started the engine. It cranked instantly, as if it  couldn’t wait either.  Together we slid into the water. 

For the next 3-4 minutes I headed up the channel just above idle speed.  Another trick my mechanic gave me to prolong  motor life - warm it up properly!   Good advice, but it’s a difficult thing for me to do.  The teenager in me wants to rock and roll immediately - but the 67 year old makes sure I start with a slow dance first.  I’m not sure, but I think it’s called maturity. 

Finally it was time. I turned the Kawie around and took a minute to take in the view.  The water stretched out calmly for what seemed like miles.  The sky was a soft blue.  Slowly,  I got to a comfortable speed, allowing the ski to plane out smoothly.  Then after about a quarter mile,  I squeezed the accelerator hard.  

It leapt out of the water.  In an instant I was going 60 miles an hour.  I screamed in delight like a teenager on a roller coaster. Good thing I didn’t Armor All the seat.  Houses zipped by as I began some long wide turns. Within a few seconds I was on the main channel of the lake, which seemed to be completely deserted except for me.  I slowed down to about 40 miles per hour, the perfect cruising speed, and began to look around.

Smith Lake is a beautiful place. The high limestone cliffs were dotted with blooming mountain laurels. Trees festooned with new lime green leaves. Occasionally a striped bass would break the water to get its morning meal. All this with a perfect sky as its backdrop. It never gets old.

I began to sing just like the people on those Geico motorcycle ads. Whatever song comes to mind. Today it was a melody featuring the Allman Brothers, the Beatles, the Four Seasons, and Steely Dan. Good thing the roar of the motor drowns me out. If you listen carefully at end of the commercial they say, “If you ride, you get it.” Thats a true statement - on a motorcycle and a jet ski.

Finally it was time to get back to the house. I had work to do. So, I turned around, and with one more burst of maximum speed headed home. I looked to my left and the wind blew my sunglasses off and into the water. No big deal. I didn’t even look back. There was too much to see in front of me.

Please like and share!
#jetskis
#LewisSmithLake
#Kawasakijetskisrule
#lakerides




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water Aerobics - H2 Oh - No!

Joe Willie, Finebaum, And Me

Field of Screams