The Polar Express - I Heard The Bells!

Being a proud grandparent, I’ve decided that 2 years is an especially wonderful age for a grandchild.  They talk pretty well, they’re just about potty trained, and they’re still unencumbered when it comes to social graces.  Come to think about it, that’s pretty much the way my wife describes me. 

And the questions. “What is this? What’s this for?  Why are you doing this?”  They are little sponges absorbing everything they can as the world unfolds before them. 

This combination of cuteness and  curiosity, coupled with a sense of wonder, makes Christmas an especially wonderful time for a two year old.  The fear of Santa is over.  The concept of gifting is basically understood.  And the classic Christmas movies are new and fresh to them.  

And so it came about yesterday that we got to introduce Addy, my two year old grand princess, to one of my favorite holiday flicks, The Polar Express.  

It didn’t come about easily.  Another trait of a two year old that I didn’t mention is that upon finding a cartoon, movie, or show they like, they will want to watch  over and over and over again.  I believe if the Taliban kidnapped me and wanted to extract a confession, they could get it by forcing me to watch Peppa Pig fewer times than my granddaughter does.  And if have to watch Luca one more time, I might puka.  So, when we tried to put The Polar Express in the viewing rotation, we were predictably met with all the stubborn resistance a two year old could muster. There was pouting, crying, and complaining - and that was just from my wife.    

As for Addy, she just sat in her MiMi’s lap, whining, “Nooo!  Wanna watch Wuka again!  Wanna watch my Wuka again!”

I remained patiently optimistic.  I knew if we could just get her to focus on Polar Express, she would be hooked.  So we started the movie and as I expected, things began to quiet down.  Seizing an opportunity,  I stepped out to get my car keys.  This would be an excellent time for me to run a few errands. 

However,  as I walked back in the den on my way to the garage,  I stopped mid stride. Because right in front of me was a 2 year old, obviously smitten by the movie I knew so well.   It was innocent.  It was perfect.  It was beautiful. I was smack dab in the middle of  a real-life Hallmark moment. 

As I welled up with emotion, Addy took her gaze away from the screen, looked at me and said, “Day-yea, you watch it too. ”    

(Sidebar: ”Day -yea” is the name she gave me.  It comes from her early attempts to say “Granddaddy”.   I think it’s stuck, and that’s ok.  I actually kind of like it.) 

That did it.  Only Scrooge could run errands after a request like that. I put the car keys down and sat in my red lounge chair.  My plans had changed. There would be the only time in my life to experience this event with this child. So for the next hour and a half, I watched Addy as she soaked in the Christmas magic of The Polar Express for the very first time.  She would occasionally glance up at me and smile, happy I was sharing this time with her. Tears began welling up in my eyes.  It was hard not to get emotional watching this unfold before me.

Honestly, I must admit that during a lot of holiday seasons I’m like the adults in the movie.   I don’t hear the Christmas bells ringing.  I get too caught up getting ready for Christmas that I don’t experience Christmas.  That wasn’t the case today.  Today,  I heard the clean, pure peal of Santa’s bells as clear as a child.  It was a special moment between grandparent and grandchild that I will share with her when she gets older.  

Not to mention what she said the minute the movie ended. 

“I wanna see it again.”

Merry Christmas everyone.  I hope you hear the bells. 

Please like and share!

#Christmaswithgrandchildren
#twoyearoldsaregreat
#ThePolarExpress
#Iwanttowatchitagain







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water Aerobics - H2 Oh - No!

Joe Willie, Finebaum, And Me

Tutus, Taps, & Terror