The Fourth Quarter



An old high school friend  of mine died last week. Don fought the good fight against kidney cancer for 8 years. He was funny, full of life, and thought of others.  So many people were touched by him. Just a few weeks ago he read one of my posts about my son and mailed me a prayer towel with a note of encouragement. I was truly moved. No doubt Don practiced his  Christian faith. 

Don’s death has caused me to pause and think.  At my age this is becoming a more frequent occurrence. And it will continue. Before my retirement I began to reflect about being in my mid sixties. To me it’s a perfect football analogy. I know at the age of 66, I’m more than likely in the 4th quarter of my life.  I hope it’s the early 4th quarter, but I don’t know.  

In football, the 4th quarter usually defines the outcome of the game. Certainly everything leading to the 4th quarter has importance. Many of the key plays that happen are memorable.  But in those epic close games, most of the time what happens in the 4th quarter defines what people remember for the ages.  Examples abound.  At Alabama, we even know them by name: The Goal Line Stand, The Kick, 2nd and 26.  Believe me, Auburn has their share too, but I won’t name them for fear of losing my alumni card. 

When I was in college in the 1970s, Alabama football teams began holding up 4 fingers at the end of the third quarter. To accentuate the point, the student section would shout, “The 4th quarter’s ours!”  Now this practice is common with every college team.  Maybe it’s time to extend it beyond football. Maybe everyone in their sixties should start holding up 4 fingers (if your arthritis allows), and dominate the 4th quarter of their life. 

It’s time to reach out to those people in your life who were important, but have drifted away.  It’s time to say what has been unsaid to those who are important to you. It’s time to give of yourself to others.  It’s time to forgive someone you haven’t forgiven.   We can even name these life enriching events, like The Gift or The Phone Call. 

However you can’t use The Towel - that one is already taken. 

The 4th quarter’s ours! 

Please like and share. 

#fourthquarter
#holdupfourfingers
@RickandBubba

Comments

  1. Extremely well done Joe and so well done that even an Old Bulldog from Starkville understood the message. Got you by a few years and couldn’t agree more that we’re in the 4th Quarter and we need to leave it all on the field. We certainly can’t take it with us. God Bless you Brother; RTR, Praise the Lord and Go Dawgs. ����‍��������

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Water Aerobics - H2 Oh - No!

Joe Willie, Finebaum, And Me

Tutus, Taps, & Terror