Boat Therapy



It’s just a small place on a big lake.   Only about 1,000 square feet - I guess you can call it a house, just  barely.   As a point of reference, the deck we added is a almost bigger than the home. The running joke is that people will come boating by and say, “Wow, look at the house on that deck.”  But it’s ours. For thirteen years we have built, rebuilt, and spent money on it. It’s been a labor of love.  

We especially enjoy sharing it with friends and family like Skip and Tammy. They are two close friends who visit regularly.  Tammy actually grew up on this lake and has a great love for It.  So when she unexpectedly lost her Mom last week, I hugged her at the funeral home and whispered, “You know anytime you and Skip want the lake house to get away,  it's yours.”

For those who don’t know, every recreational lake is really two lakes: the weekend lake and the weekday lake. The weekend lake  is loud, crowded, and boisterous.   On the other hand, the weekday lake is quiet and peaceful.  There are almost no people, and the only sounds are those nature makes.   In Tammy’s case,  I was certainly referring to the weekday lake - a perfect place to unwind and reflect.  

I repeated my offer to Skip when I saw him.  He nodded and said,  “Tomorrow is going to be hard on her.  But we may come up the next day to get away for a little bit.  It will be up to her.”

I responded, “Well, I’m going to be up there sealing the deck.  But if you come up, I’ll blow that off and we’ll take the pontoon boat out. That will do her some good.”  Like I needed an excuse to get out of staining a deck. 

By mid morning the next day I was at 
the cabin, prepping for a day of sealing and  staining. That’s when Skip texted  me. They were going to have a late lunch and wanted me to come along. Then they were going to take me up on the boat ride. I couldn’t put those brushes and paint rollers up fast enough. 

Tammy seemed to be in good spirits considering the funeral was the day before.   “A couple of  beers and a couple of hours on the water will be good for you.” I said as I got the pontoon ready to take out of the slip.     

 It was a perfect day to be on the water.  The sky was an oil painting - powder blue, splashed with a few dollops of clouds that were backlit by the sun. The lake was calm, with very few boats on the water.  Just a trace of a breeze.  A weekday lake at its best. 

The three of us slowly cruised down the main channel.  Sometimes we  pointed out large houses, other times we talked about her Mom.  Much of the time we just admired God’s handiwork in silence.  The drone of the motor and rhythmic slapping of the water on the pontoons was  hypnotic.  The emotional stress of the previous days melted away, even if only temporarily.  

Researchers have proven that being close to the water provides us with a feeling of peace and well being.  But anyone who‘s been on a lake could have told them that.  There’s something about it that calms and heals you. 

Much too soon we returned to my pier.  As I tied up the boat, Tammy said, “Thanks, Joe Hobby. This made my soul happy.”  Everyone was smiling.   Mission accomplished.  

We will schedule another session of boat therapy soon. 

Please like and share!

#SmithLakeisawesome
#laketherapydoesn’trequireacopay 




Comments

  1. Thank you Mr. Hobby, wonderful blog post. I had a Lewis Smith Lake cabin that was only 700 square feet. Yet from my perspective, since the front yard accommodated an area 21,200 acres with 642 miles of shoreline to stretch out...the cabin's size sufficed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome story...and the size of the cabin,house doesn't matter as it forces you outdoors to reveal the real beauty of the lake ....of God's bountiful blessing to us whom are able to see and enjoy this area.....I agree that water calms and give peace to your soul....Thank you for sharing this blog and look forward to many more....I love our little slice of heaven!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Water Aerobics - H2 Oh - No!

Joe Willie, Finebaum, And Me

Field of Screams