Paul McCartney - I Saw Him Standing There





There’s no denying that music packs a powerful emotional punch.  If you listen to the theme from Rocky or Rudy and don’t get inspired to do something, check your heart to see if you have one.  I can’t hear “Taps” played without feeling a sense of loss.  And if you’ve ever listened to Bocephus belt out “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry” after a break up, well, you just thought you felt bad.  


That’s why I shouldn’t have been surprised last night.  There, in front of 22,000 people, the first song of the concert brought tears to my eyes.  


This was not some b-list entertainer. It would take more than that to turn my waterworks on.  No, this concert was Paul McCartney - that’s SIR Paul McCartney, former Beatle and cultural icon.  I was at a personal bucket list event. Sir Paul’s music has accompanied me all through my life. And when he walked on stage and  began his 2 hour journey with me by belting out “Can’t Buy Me Love”,  I  cried. I’m not ashamed to say it.  They were tears of joy and of remembrance. 


I associate so many memories with Paul McCartney songs. I grew up with the Beatles.  I kissed my first girl while songs like “I Want To Hold Your Hand” were on the radio. I remember talking about their Ed Sullivan Show appearance on our elementary school playground, and how they shook their hair every time they sang, “She loves you, and you know you should be glad! Woo!”  It was nothing like we had ever seen. Soon, kids with understanding parents had their hair cut in the mop top style. 


It’s hard for people under 40 to understand that the only way for us to see the Beatles back then was via their limited appearances on network television. So, to get info on Paul and his mates we had to buy magazines like Teen or Tiger Beat.  And there was always the AM radio.  No, not FM, it wasn’t a thing yet. 


And the albums. I would buy them and play them over and over on the tiny stereo we had at home. Sometimes when I didn’t have the money, I just bought 45s.  Beatles 45’s were always a good buy because you knew the songs on both sides were good. (millennials, go ask one of your elders what a 45 is).




While I was in high school, their music changed - it didn’t matter, we loved it too. I recall when we made our home room page for the yearbook a parody of Sergeant Pepper’s album cover.  I’m still proud to say I drew it. So when Paul sang “Getting Better” and For “The Benefit of Mr. Kite”, it brings back adolescent memories clearly thru the mists of time. 


His songs help us raise our kids. I sang “Blackbird” to all three of my boys as I rocked them.  And “Birthday” on their birthdays.  How can I not get tears in my eyes listening to Paul sing them? 


Paul’s music brings everybody together.  The people seated behind us may not have been 40 years old, but they were singing every word to every song. I sang right along with them.  Timeless. 


I was a bit surprised by the prices at the venue, although I shouldn’t of been when you take in consideration what I paid for the tickets. I’m not gonna say how much I shelled out, but I did inform my pastor that I would not be making my tithe for the next three months.  My wife said I was robbing Jesus to pay Paul (just a joke folks). And to me, $50 for a T-shirt still seems high, even in this day and time.  But a word of advice: go ahead and spend the money to get the good T-shirts.  I learned my lesson when I went to a Rolling Stones concert several years ago. At that time, T- shirts were selling for the outrageous price of $25!   Each of my 3 boys wanted one, so that was $75!  No way I’m doing that.  So, I found a vendor outside of the stadium selling comparable T-shirts for 7 bucks each.  That was a much better deal - so I thought. It turns out the prices were so good because whoever printed them put the Stone’s logo on crooked.  So, when my children to wore these to school, they had to hold one shoulder higher than the other.  They looked like 3 little Quasimodos. Go ahead - buy the good shirts. 


Early in the concert Paul stopped, looked around, and said he wanted a moment to “just drink it all in.” He’s certainly not doing this for the money. McCartneys worth is over a billion dollars. He’s performing because he has to. I understood exactly what he meant. Me too, Paul. Me too. 


It wasn’t just a Day In Life for me. Despite the cost, despite the crowds, I’d do it again tomorrow. This wasn’t about money, it’s about memories. The ones from I recall from long ago, and the ones I’m  making right now. 


Will this be his last go round?  I don’t know. Maybe I’m Amazed, but Paul McCartney’s music seems to be Getting Better all the time.  I hope I see him again. I don’t think it will be The End - I’ve Got a Feeling he will Get Back.  He was just Something. 


Find more of Joe’s stories on his blog: https://mylifeasahobby.blogspot.com/?m=1

Also, follow him on Facebook at: Joe Hobby Comedian- Writer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water Aerobics - H2 Oh - No!

Joe Willie, Finebaum, And Me

Field of Screams