Definitely Not Cool


A while back, someone sent me a photo of a church sign that said, “Whoever took our air conditioners, keep one because it’s going to be hot where you’re going”.  Of course I laughed. However, today it doesn’t seem quite as humorous because last night we discovered that one of our church’s air conditioning units had been stolen.  I walked in a few minutes before our Thursday evening service and someone told me the news. It appears that whoever took the unit had plans to get on the roof and take a couple more. In addition, they broke into the adjacent Boy Scout’s building and stole a some of their things. The minute I heard of the theft, a gush of anger surged through me.  I felt personally violated. It reminded me of the feeling I had as a teenager when my beloved car tape player was stolen.


My, how times have changed.  The church I attended as a child proudly displayed a sign out front that said, “The sanctuary is open 24 hours a day. Grow in grace”.   It was one of many churches in the area that had that policy.  Being open 24/7 was a ministry; it enabled troubled, hurting people to have a proper place to connect with the Almighty anytime.  Sadly,  those days have come and gone. Years ago, thieves wouldn’t even target churches because they were considered sacred places.  But no more. Think I’m kidding?  Just Google:  “churches have air conditioning stolen”.  

I find it curious that so much violence in our society stems from “disrespect” - someone disrespecting someone else.  It’s a common theme now. You’ve heard people speak of it - from world class athletes to low life felons. In prison, disrespect can even be a reason to kill.  Obviously, giving and receiving respect has become very important to a lot of people today. 

And now someone who probably values  “being respected” has pulled the ultimate act of disrespect themselves - stealing from a church. Sadly, they have no respect for a group whose purpose is to improve their community and show people the advantages of following the path that Jesus Christ walked. 

While my anger smoldered, one of my friends, Mark had a much better perspective on the situation.  He said, “I actually feel sorry for the thieves  because this isn’t going to fix the problems they have.”  He’s right.  

I suppose I should take the advice that I saw on another church sign.   It said, “Trust in God, but lock your car”. And maybe they should add, “and keep an eye on your church AC.” 

That’s the world we live in now. 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water Aerobics - H2 Oh - No!

Joe Willie, Finebaum, And Me

Field of Screams